EDITOR’S NOTE: This is an ongoing series of articles on the various denominations in North America, written by Robert W. Caldwell III, who serves as professor of church history at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary:
- Why so many religious denominations in North America?
- Anglicans & Episcopalians: A Middle Way between Catholicism and Protestantism?
- Presbyterianism: Carrying the torch of ‘Reformed’ ecclesiology, theology
- Congregationalism: Self-governing churches ‘gathered’ under Christ’s rule
- Methodism: John Wesley’s Plan to Bring Christ’s Holiness to the World